Re: Autoweek

To: "Allan Connell, Jr." <alcon@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Autoweek
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 09:11:23 -0800
RE: Auctioned Tiger

I happened to have been in Scottsdale and went to the
Auction Sunday.  As I was walking towards the ticket counter
a man came up to me and asked if I were going to the
auction.  Figuring he was pushing tickets, I said yes and he
handed me the remaining stubs of two three day passes.  When
I asked 'how much', he said free!  Nice.

The Chrysler Exhibit was great.  Aside from their new
concept cars, I saw one that literally blew me away.  Now
this must be taken into historical perspective, and requires
some familiarity with cars older than ours.

They had a mid-'30's (1935-36) concept car based upon their
full size chassis.  The chassis was from their sedan line,
so fairly large, but it only had the front seats.  It was an
open car (don't know if there even was a top), and the rear
seating area was covered with the body metal to make it a
two door two passenger car.

The absolutely fascinating thing about this car, from a
company that was pretty stodgy then, is that it looked like
a mid 50's Mercury by Barris.  Full length body integrated
fenders, and even "frenched" headlights (see your dad).
This car was 20 years ahead of it's time in the style
world.  Now, the fifties Merc, was a Kustom Kar lovers dream
come true. A low-slung lead sledge, but clean in all lines.
A real surprise.

I saw the Tiger that was auctioned.  I'd call it middling
fair.  Actualy, it was either part of a group of cars one
man was selling, or owned by the Auctioneer.  I saw it in
the "already sold" area, and the guy hovering over it, and a
few others, said it may go back on the block because the
winning bidder had not shown up to claim it.  I think they
originally got $16,000 for it.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >