RE: Front wheel bearings

To: "'Dave Binkley'" <dbinkley@argotech.com>,
Subject: RE: Front wheel bearings
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:43:43 -0700
The method I usually use is the following, which assumes that the front spindle
is attached to a relatively immovable object (such as the car):

1. Remove the grease cap, cotter pin, spindle nut and washer, and the outer
wheel bearing, then thread the spindle nut back on. Unbolt the brake caliper and
position it out of the way.
2. Grab the hub and pull it quickly toward you in such a way that the inner
bearing race slides along the top surface of the spindle, and then hits the back
of the spindle nut. You're using the hub/rotor mass as a slide hammer, and the
inside bearing as a drift. This action will usually remove the grease seal
without damage. Check the inner bearing cage carefully afterward.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705