Re: Steering wheel removal

To: oharajem@free.midcoast.com, alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering wheel removal
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:02:55 EST
Scott,
        Yes, it is best to use a steering wheel puller, but if you use a puller
in
the three existing holes in the center of the wheel, you will tear the plastic
center portion of the wheel in half.  The three threaded holes are mounted in
plastic and are only intended to mount the horn contact apparatus.  I always
drill new holes thru the center of the wheel, thru the steel structure.  You
can safely pull the wheel from there.  The new holes will be completely hidden
when the wheel is back on the car.      I have had to replace the dowel that
retain and limits the travel of the sliding splined adjuster on at least two
dozen Tiger steering columns that I have rebuilt. The adjuster is identical on
your Series 5 Alpine.  When a person yanks or jerks the wheel to remove it,
all of the force is focused on the tiny dowel, and it is usually badly
distorted.  It cocks sideways and drags on the slider, sometimes completely
jamming it.  Remember to leave the nut on loosely to keep the puller from
flaring the adjuster end: if you forget, you will not be able to put the nut
back on!
Jim Leach,      Seattle