inquiry 040799a

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 040799a
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 07:32:41 -0400
Cliff wrote:
*An addition to this wheel question is, can or how can hubs be modified
*fit 5 lug wheels.  This would give a wider selection of rims and tires.

I would be surprised if there were no concerns about the hubs' strength
if redrilled for 5-bolt wheels --- IF the bolt circle were any larger
than the stock 4-1/4". The 4-1/4" 5-bolts fit:

5 on 4-1/4      (108 mm)
        Volvo 140, 164 15"
        Volvo - all to '89
        Ford - T-Bird '89

Which might not mean more selection than for the pattern we now have. A
wheel chart posted here last year showed the more popular American
5-bolt applications in the 4-1/2", 4-3/4" and 5" sizes. It _might_ work,
but the stud holes would be closer to the edge of the hub, unless by
some method (!?) the overall diameter of the hub could be increased.

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
larry.wright@usop.com (new)