Re: dumb question

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dumb question
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 17:57:32 -0700
Jim,

Toploaders I'm familiar with have a fill plug on the passenger (right) side
of the case. It is about a 1/2" pipe plug, just like the drain plug on the
bottom. It's probably a good idea to use Teflon tape or other type of
thread seal when you replace it to keep oil from weeping past the threads.
Pick your choice of finger to inspect the fill level, taking into account
the angle you may have your car at as a result of jacking it up. You can
fill it to the bottom of the fill hole. If you haven't changed the oil for
quite a while, and especially if it isn't synthetic, might I suggest
draining and filling with Red Line or other top quality gear oil. You will
notice a difference it how easy it shifts, especially when it's cold.

TTFN,

Bob

At 06:38 PM 4/8/99 -0500, James E. Pickard wrote:
>How the h--- do you check the oil level in the gearbox?  Looks like you
>have to drop the engine to check the oil!  I must be missing something
>here.

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com