Re: MK2 head light bezel

To: pete_stanisavljevich@sunserv1.valpak.com
Subject: Re: MK2 head light bezel
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:10:44 -0700
Pete Stanisavljevich wrote:

> Having been around Tigers and Alpines (Oh My) since the sixties when my Dad
>had a '63
> series 3, I often wondered why so many cars I'd seen were always missing the
>same items.
> Aircleaners, brake boosters, and toolkits were always gone. Some of  those
>cars where
> pretty badly off.

Pete,

Having been around sports cars since the 50's, I can tell you where those
pieces are.

I never sold a car with the original tool kit, I kept it.  Want some genuine
crappy
open-ended Whitworth wrenches, my son Jay has the Jaguar knock-off hammer, the
only tool
kit with decent tools was the Porsche.

The Air cleaners are the first thing you remove to put on the "hot" chrome ones
that
significantly increase your performance (;->.

The brake boosters, of good Lucas/Girling design, failed early, were costly or
impossible
to repair, and most people didn't need them anyway.  In the trash or back of
the garage
pile of stuff that doesn't work.

The windshield washer was a joke anyway, and it got in the way of monkeying
with the
radiator or adjusting the generator, so off it comes.

The surge tank was always in the way, and you couldn't get those hoses anyway.

The heater core rotted through because nobody changed the water, much less put
new
antifreeze every year.  I leaked, so it had to be removed.  Besides, nobody
thinks a lack
of heat is a Tiger problem.  And who drives them when it's cold anyway?
Besides, it didn't
work too good at best, providing the motor wasn't fried.

The stock hub caps were not very pretty, and the wheels were ugly.  On with a
set of full
wire-wheel hub caps, or new alloys.  Or at least bolt on some fake knock-offs.
So  what if
there's a hole in the middle of the cap.

All those SUNBEAM letters were a bear to keep the edges clean, so remove them
and put on
bondo at the first re-spray.

The fan shroud was probably rolled over when the radiator was out for re-build.

Anything Lucas Electrical was probably replaced with a good Lucky Auto Parts
piece, along
with the intake manifold wolf whistle and the Bermuda Bell.

The red air horns were a lot neater than those little stock things.

Besides, this was a 5 year old car, at the time, and who cares about an old car.

Well, that's the way it seemed to me.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/