Oil filter Adapter Pipe Flare Repair

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil filter Adapter Pipe Flare Repair
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:19:36 -0400
Folks,
        When mucking with the oil filter adapter
either on the block or on the filter, it is very
possible that when you put things back together
the flare fitting may leak due to wear on the
flare.  One can repair the worn connection without
too much trouble.  Here is how I do it:
Take some 1/16" rosin core solder and bend it into
a ring that just fits in the "V" slot of the mating connector
for the flare fitting.  Use a soldering iron to join
the ends of the ring. ( Just hot enough to melt
the solder). Drop the new solder ring into the
fitting and screw the old worn flare fitting in.
The solder will be crushed and seal the oil
leak.  Often you do not even have to replace
the solder ring the next time you remove the
fitting as the solder is "formed" in the "V"
and it still works fine.  I first did this
many years ago and I have never had a leak
at the fitting since.
        Of course if you are sloppy with the
ring or use larger solder than about 1/6"
then you may squeeze some solder into the
oil flow passages.  This could cause a minor
blockage of the oil flow or even get solder bits
into the oil.  Probably not much of a problem
as the solder is soft.
You can check this by first tightening the
flare and then opening it up again to check
your work.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others