Suggestions (United efforts)

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Suggestions (United efforts)
From: "JR Carter" <rising_tiger@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:56:30 PDT
Up front, please forgive me for making suggestions that I don't have the time
to maintain myself.  And if someone has suggested any of these ideas in the
past, oops.  I've not been reading posts on a consistent basis of late.

Suggestion 1:  I thought it would be a good idea to summarize the wealth of
information on the e-list and catalog it (on the web?) by subject.  Mark
Olson's page already does this but I'm sure is limited in content do to the
amount of time he has available for maintenance.  The site would serve as not
only a resource but would hopefully reduce the number of posts that come across
the list.  The number of posts that are generated on the list now make setting
aside the time to read difficult at best for alot of us.

Suggestion 2:  If someone had the time, a syndicated article that summarizes
technical information on the e-list could be made available to all of the clubs
for publication in their newsletters.  This would then bring members who aren't
associated with the internet into the predominant world of folks communicating
on the list.

Trouble is, what would be the incentive for the individual(s) to take on these
efforts?  Well, syndicating is usually a revenue generating concept.  It's
possible that a nominal amount payed by each of the clubs per month or year,
when added up, could make it worth someones while.  Maybe not.  Most likely the
person who would take this on would already be expending a good amount of time
reading and communicating on the list anyway.  You might say why would the
clubs create additional expenditures.  To create interest in there club.  It
seems to me that the newsletter is a key aspect of the clubs for many members.
Think about it, most members aren't appearing for the functions/meetings and
the newsletter is the only benefit their receiving.  A good newsletter will
decrease the trend of lost membership.  Much of the technical discussions and
contact information on the net would be of interest.

Well, food for thought and meant to generate positive discussion.

Rgs, J.Carter