Re: Oil Pressure Fluctuation

To: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Fluctuation
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 18:22:18 -0400
At 11:43 AM 4/30/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Egad, the oil pressure in my Tiger suddenly appears to be fluctuating all
>over the place.  It always seemed to go up about 10-15 psi off idle to
>cruising RPM, but now the pressure is varying from 15 to 75 psi independent
>of RPM.  Oil level is good.  Connections to the gauge seem tight. I'm running
>a high pressure oil pump. Stock oil pan. 10W-40 oil. Stock oil pressure gauge.
>
>I plan to hook a different meter to the outlet this weekend and check if the
>gauge is operating properly.  If it is, could it be the regulator on the oil
>pump?  How tough is it to change the oil pump while the motor is in the car?
>
>TIA.

        If your oil gauge is not the problem then it is possible that
the hex shaft from the bottom of the distributure to the oil pump
is rounded off and not driving the oil pump.  It could be grabbing
and then slipping which would explain the variation in pressure.
A high pressure pump puts a bit more load on this shaft than the original
pump.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others