Re: Electric Fans 4/Tigers

To: rflynn <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Electric Fans 4/Tigers
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 11:02:39 -0700
rflynn wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I just read your 12-May-1998 "Fan-Tastic" post to the tiger list and had one
>question:
>
> Is the shrouding for these fans supposed to be in in direct contact with the
>front plane of the radiator?
>
> I ask this because 1) I've not been able to figure it out from *any* of the
>messages on the list; 2) I have an electic fan on my recently aquired Tiger
>MKI w/289 but it has no shrouding at all; 3) the car runs like a champ in all
>but bumper-to-bumper/mostly stop, rarely go traffic, in which it promptly
>overheats & possibly does the vapor lock gig.  I've yet to go through the list
>of things to check (hoses, radiator, etc., etc.), but I'm also trying to learn
>about what I've got (or what is missing from what I've got!)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> rick

Rick,

I am presuming, form the information you've provided, that your 5 (6) bladed
water pump fan shroud is in direct contact with your radiator already.  On
mine, which is in really good shape, I found that even the seal here isn't all
that good.  Next time you have it out, I'd consider a layer of 1/4 inch foam
insulation tape around the edges.  Get the 'good' stuff.  Cullen Bennett even
made a small piece of aluminum to complete the bottom missing portion of this
shroud, with due care around the rack area.

As to the Electric Fan, it is absolutely essential that there be a shroud
around the blades, and that the complete shroud be sealed to the radiator.
But, this does NOT mean direct contact between the hard plastic fan shroud and
the soft copper (or aluminum) fins and tubes.  Further, I would never mount the
fan to the radiator with either the plastic, or metal rod ties provided with
some.  These will rub through your radiator.

Hopefully you have a high efficiency, high flow rate fan.  If not, I can
recommend a good source. (see last paragraph)

My fan has snap-in feet that extend the shroud to a metal insert screw nut.  It
can, of course, be mounted horizontally or vertically. I chose to have the feet
vertical.  I attached a small aluminum angle to the unused crank arm box, and
bolted the bottom pair of feet to it.  The metal angle is only about 3 inches
long.  I spaced the bottom feet so that the top feet were in direct contact
with the upper sheet metal.  The whole assembly is mounted as close to the
radiator as possible.  The "tricky" part is finding
exactly where those upper feet threads are located on the upper surface of the
body inner sheet metal (this is the part of the body, just under the hood, that
connects the front end to the radiator support and fenders, and has the holes
in it for the hinges.  When I located the location, I center punched and
drilled a hole in line with where those feet would be if the fan were
installed.  The feet, of course, are perpendicular, and the body sheet metal is
at an angle, only one edge of the foot touches the metal.
Doesn't matter, but if your clever you could file it to the same angle for
complete contact.  I used an aluminum pop rivet to fasten each of the upper
feet to the body sheet metal.

The lower mounts, being directly below (vertical) the upper were shimmed with
spacer washers to the angel bracket.  This is a very firm support, and can be
removed with a little poop-rivet drilling, but shouldn't be necessary except
for replacement.

Now the tricky part.  The fan shroud was still too far from the radiator for
any reasonable sticky-back foam (3/4 inch is what I used).  Didn't want to use
two layers, but it's possible.  I had some rubber trim from the Tiger trunk
area that I used to extend the shroud forward.  It will be necessary to attach
the "U" portion to the shroud and cut out the portions interfering with the fan
structure.  Dykes (sp?) or hack-saw for metal insert type may be needed.  I
used those pop rivets to secure it to the shroud.  This
extension allowed the 3/4" foam to contact and compress against the radiator.
Vibration does not scrub the fins.

The fan source is Scott Manufacturing, 25520 AVE. Stanford, STE. 304, Valencia,
CA 91355.  (805) 295-9340 or (800) 544-5596.  Gary Wilson is our Tiger expert .
 I bought, under advice from Bob Palmer, their FR13A-3.75 Pusher fan with the
"Terminator" motor.  I also bought a quick connect, a relay base, the Threaded
foot kit, the terminator kit insulated 20 amp fuse with body-mount holder, a 25
amp toggle switch and a 40 amp relay. Didn't use the switch, as I found a SPST
Lucas switch I put in the unused "choke" hole.
Need some wood working behind this to clear the Lucas switch.  No biggie.  The
total cost was $120 plus $8 S&H and any appropriate taxes.  Good unit, 12 amps,
with a 3 3/4 inch over-all fan depth with this motor.  No big pancake.  The 13
inch fan is 13 3/4 by 14 inches, and is as big as your going to get in without
major surgery. 1600 CFM.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/