Re: RFC/Overheating Tiger (LONG & TIRESOME)

To: rflynn@dircon.co.uk
Subject: Re: RFC/Overheating Tiger (LONG & TIRESOME)
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 00:13:41 EDT
Two other things to check.

I know you said the timing was OK because you test drove
it.  This wont do.  Check the timing with a light.  Nothing
will overheat a Ford quicker that timing too far advanced.

Check that your thermostat is opening.  You do have a
thermostat I hope.  Lack of one will cause overheating.

Check that you carb is not set too lean.  I had a neighbor
here to day with a Ford pickup that was running hot.  He
had the carb set far too lean.  Once reset the overheating
went away.

One last thing.  Check you hoses, especially the lower
hose.  In 1967 my Tiger was overheating until I noticed
the lower hose was collapsing when the engine RPM
exceeded 1000.  A new hose with a spring in it ficed that.

Good Luck.  We all would like to hear how you solve
your problem.