Re: Mystery Flywheel number

To: TIGEROOTES@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mystery Flywheel number
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:37:22 EDT
Hi Jim
 On May 17 you wrote
<<<Tony,
The C2- indicates it is from 1962.  If it is for a V8, it would be for a 221
or possibly a 260ci.  There are three different diameters of Ford flywheels
for the small-block series.  If you don't use the correct one, with the
correct bell housing and correct backing plate (it locates the starter as to
how it addresses the flywheel) it may bolt up, but it may not work.  There
are two different necks on Ford starters that determine where the starter
pinion gear centerline is in relation to the backing plate and thus the
flywheel.  I highly recommend you bolt the works together on the floor and
put power to the starter motor before you install the combination: if the
motor turns the engine, you have a combination that will work.  There is
nothing more frustrating than installing the engine/trans assembly, bleeding
the brakes and clutch, and turning the key to hear the motor run in
space...no contact with the flywheel.  Been there.  Done that.  Never again!
Jim Leach,      Seattle >>>>
Well Jim ,I am aware that there are two different sizes flywheel for the 6
bolt motors and a third size for the five bolt ones.I have been acumulating
parts to make a killer 302 for my Tiger.I bought the flywheel in question for
25$ at a swap meet.
I have been focusing my hunt on application specific 302 parts as of late.I
began to have my doubts about the flywheel when I  learned the harmonic
balancer for what I want to do is common to 1969 and 70 302's(They used the 3
bolt pulleys like Tigers do) and started to think that perhaps the flywheel I
need to use will be very specific also.It now seems that I have just thrown
away$25.
 I donot have all the parts available just yet to see how they line up  when
assembled.I am having a 6 bolt clutch bracket made that will work with a
Tiger.
This still a work-in - progress.The internet is a big help because many folks
out there have already solved the problem I am working on now.
Thanks
 Tony