Re: Ahagggggggggggg!

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Ahagggggggggggg!
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 18:25:10 -0700
At 05:59 PM 5/17/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Folks,
>        Blue smoke, fairly large quantities comming out
>of the passenger side exhaust, expecially when I let off
>the gas.  The only good thing is people do not tailgate
>so bad now.  Motor also running a bit rough.  Hard to tell
>if I am running on 7 as there is still adequate power.
>Idles at 600 RPM OK.  Oil level slightly low. Will pull
>the plugs as soon as the motor cools off.  Any one want
>to make a prediction?
>        Anyone know an easy way to determine the difference
>between a bad valve seal verses a bad oil ring before
>dissamembly?  Probably less than 60K miles on the 351C.
>
>James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others

Best non-destructive tool for this application is a leak-down tester which
will measure the relative leak rate for each cylinder at TDC.  Similar to a
compression test except that it is a static test and not a dynamic test.  A
liberal squirt of oil in a low cylinder followed by a retest will improve
(reduce) the leak rate if it is ring related, and have essentially no
effect if it is valve seal related.  The test should give you uniform
readings on each cylinder in the 85% or better range.  If the number are
below this level, mechanical work is likely warranted.

You might also pull the valve cover on the offending side and inspect for
valve seal components which would indicate failures that are obvious.

Tom