RE: Door panels

To: "'James Barrett'" <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>, RayKReese@aol.com
Subject: RE: Door panels
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:00:00 -0600
Listers,

I made up a cardboard template that fit as closely as I could get it, to the
rear shelf area and up to the inside of the top. Took that to a local fab shop
(Guyon Racing), and had them bend up a hoop to fit inside the borders of the
cardboard. I had them use 1.75 x .120" ERW tubing, which is good enough for the
sanctioning bodies around here. I took it home along with enough extra tubing to
make a diagonal and two rear stays, welded four 4 x 5 x 1/8" plates into the
car, and then welded the hoop and stays to the plates. It took a bunch more
effort than getting a 'show bar' out of one of the catalogs, but it pretty much
fit the way I wanted (with the rear stays attached on top of the rear wheel
arches), and I know what I've got in there.
Any local race shop should be able to do the same for you, but I guess it might
cost up to $500 depending on how much of the prep work and cleanup you do.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705