Re: Oil Leak

To: "Jim Morrison" <jpmorrison@erols.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Leak
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 13:42:22 -0700
Jim,

There are some possibilities other than the rear main seal, but none are
quick fixes. The other possibilities I can think of are the rear oil
gallery plugs and the rear cam plug. The clutch may not be getting oil
directly on it so it may take awhile before it starts slipping. Maybe
someone has some more hopeful ideas, but to me it looks inevitable that you
are going to have to pull the tranny to see what's wrong and fix it. Maybe
you should give RHS a call and ask them what they suspect and if there's
any warranty.

Isn't this the second case recently of a crate motor on the List having an
oil leak?

Bob

At 03:39 PM 5/23/99 -0400, Jim Morrison wrote:
>Ford engine guys,
>
>If you received this twice, I apologize.  I was told it did not go through
>the first time.
>
>While driving to and from Pennsylvania (800 miles),  I lost 3 quarts of oil.
>The engine is a "crate" 302 ('78 vintage block) motor from RHS in Tennessee
>and only has about 2K miles on it.  In looking underneath, it looks like it
>leaked out.  There is oil coming out of the interface between the front of
>the bellhousing and the cover plate between it and the engine.  It is also
>coming out of the boot where the clutch lever goes into the bellhousing.
>And is somehow getting thrown on the headers, especially on the drivers side
>(maybe from the clutch lever boot area).  From all appearances it should be
>all over the clutch and pressure plate, except the clutch works fine.
>
>Before going into it, I wanted to see  if anyone knew of a possible source
>for the leak, other than the rear main seal, that could get oil into the
>bellhousing.
>
>Thanks in advance for the help.
>
>Jim

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com