RE: Double pumper

To: "'TigerCoupe@aol.com'" <TigerCoupe@aol.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Double pumper
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:33:18 -0600
Dick, and Listers,

I guess I wasn't being specific enough in my post (and I have a question about
yours): My fitment problem is (was) only in the fore and aft direction, not up
and down. I was trying to establish what the constraining measurements were,
i.e. what is the correct length of the front pulley (I finally got a partial
answer this morning from Tim Ronak), and what are the correct engine mounts. I
have two identical engine mounts, which everyone agrees is not right. With the
double pumper in the car, on the F4B manifold, and a 1/4" carb spacer/gasket
combo between the carb and manifold, and the original AC air cleaner, the front
face of the crank pulley (Not the fan, or the water pump pulley) will rub the
rear side of the rack tube under certain loading conditions, with about 1/8"
clearance or so present with the engine off. The carburetor occasionally rubbed
the firewall right where the Holley lettering is on the rear float cover (above
the float pivot bulge in the cover), and it rubs the stiffening rib on the
firewall.
I modified the engine mount holes so as to sit the engine farther back (by about
3/8"), and in doing so, caused the carb to hit the firewall in a very positive
way, i.e. there was no way I would be able to make things fit unless I cut the
stiffening rib out, or changed the carburetor, so I chose the latter since
that's a less permanent alteration.
So my question to you is, is the stiffening rib on your Tiger removed for carb
clearance? How many Listers out there have a Tiger with an F4B/Double Pumper
configuration without having the rib cut out, and how much clearance is there
between the carb and firewall, and between the front pulley and the rack?
I can accept that my car has either some covered-up frame damage (it would have
to be pretty well hidden), or else that it has a case of small tolerances all
around, but I would like to know what others have for clearances before I make a
judgment on that.

Thanks,

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca