Re: Side window adjustment

To: "Daniel S. Eiland" <daniel@htg.net>
Subject: Re: Side window adjustment
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 07:52:48 -0700
"Daniel S. Eiland" wrote:

> Pete,
> On the drivers side there is a gap between the roll up window and the soft
> top vertical weatherstripping. It almost seems as if the window needs to be
> adjusted inward at the top and angled slightly back toward the rear of the
> car. Basically two adjustments.

Dan,

I presume you are discussing the rear of the window, which is also connected to
the front of the window. {9->

Does the front seal fit well against the windshield?  If so, it may be the TOP
that needs adjusting.  They have a habit of getting smaller with age, if it
ever fit when new, and causes fabric strains that will eventually tear it, and
some problems in getting everything where it belongs.

The window adjustments require removal of the window and door arms and pull
bar, the upholstery panel (careful), the plastic weather shield (most are
missing this, so put one in before you replace the upholstery.  If you don't
know how, contact me when you find you need to.

There are 2 rubber plugs at the bottom of the door.  One hole has one hold-down
bolt in a slot, the other has two.  They require thinwall sockets to not
interfere with the other bolt head or metal hole.  There is also a bolt at the
rear and one at the front, but the wrench must be between the door skin and the
frame.  Some of this requires the window be raised, or lowered, to get at.
Can't remember it I removed the front "wind wing" or not, but that's a lot of
little and big screws starting with the chrome covers.  There are also some
middle of the panel bolts.  Some are holding the winding mechanism.  The track
is also adjustable.

There does not appear to be a "lean in or out" adjustment, like my Mustang, but
fore and aft and angle.  I'd mostly strike for a good fit at the windshield
(which is also adjustable in rake), and enough height to get to the top seal.

Your lucky you don't have side curtains.  Then you'd appreciate how nice it is
to have roll-up windows, even if the rain always seems to drip on your left
leg.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/