RE: rear sway bar

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: rear sway bar
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:11:50 -0600
Listers,
On my old road race car (a Corolla) I didn't add a rear swaybar until I had
basically back-halved the chassis and replaced the leaf springs with a
three-trailing-link and Panhard rod setup. Until then, it worked excellent with
a large front bar and front springs with about double the stock rate. It would
lift the inside front on hard corners (I will add a picture of this to my
website soon) but it didn't understeer like a pig, and the car's attitude could
be set with the throttle. Note that this car had a full rollcage, tabbed to the
body at the windshield posts and B-pillar, with a cage extension serving to
mount the rear suspension.

Trying to tune a noodle like the Tiger for front/rear roll stiffness balance is
a battle you're not going to win. Since all the weight is up front, that's where
you will need the springs and swaybar. Does anyone know whether or not the Doane
Spencer Tiger used a rear sway bar? Just 'cause it's a LAT option doesn't
necessarily mean it's any good for real world performance (eg the oil pan).

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705
http://members.home.com/tsmit/tiger1.html