Re: Fw: Bob palmer sparkplug fiasco

To: "Tim Ronak" <timinvan@fox.nstn.ca>,
Subject: Re: Fw: Bob palmer sparkplug fiasco
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 16:55:05 -0700
Tim, et Listers,

OK Tim, I just bought a Sears timing light with the knob for measuring
advance relative to the TDC mark. I get about the same numbers I was
getting with other lights using the timing tape. At slow idle, about 500
rpm, it has 15 degrees advance. At 3,000 rpm it is 42.5 degrees and at
4,000 it is full in at 45 degrees advance. I have been driving it this way
for about six weeks now, which is about where I have been running it for
most of the motor's life, except for the brief episode that I think is
responsible for burning up the two plugs; that happened just before I reset
it back to where it is now, and is what I have come to consider "normal". I
had a chance to run the motor full bore just yesterday and I have the
impression (and a very scary one it is) that it is about as good as it can
be just as it sits. However, in the interests of science, I have set the
timing back five degrees; i.e., 10 degrees initial, which will give me 40
degrees total advance at 4,000. I will use my poor man's chassis dyno to
see if I think this is any better or worse, and how it runs generally over
the rpm range and get back to you.

TTFN,

Bob

At 12:18 PM 6/3/99 -0600, Tim Ronak wrote:

> [...]

snip, snip, snip, . . . .