Oil Pan

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Pan
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 20:19:31 -0400
Folks,
        I finally solved my oil smoke problem.  Had
too much oil in the oil pan.  Now that it is down
a bit, no more smoke.  I was using 7 quarts of oil
in a modified pan.

        Solve one problem and get another!
        When I brake hard, the oil pressure goes to zero.
The existing oil pan is off of a 351C Bronco which
HAD a rear sump.  The sump was shortened by me to
be sure that the oil pan was not the lowest point
on the Tiger.  There is no baffel in the pan and the
oil pickup is at the rear.  I have decided to replace
this pan with another modified pan.  I have decided that
a full depth sump is required and I wanted even more
oil capacity.  If necessary I will weld a bar across the
bottom of the cross member to attempt to keep the deeper
oil pan from being damaged by road junk.

        I took a regular front sump 351C pan and modified it.
First I added 5 quarts of water to the unmodified pan
and marked the inside of the pan at the 5 quart
line for a reference point.  I then TIG welded a box of
sheet metal flush with the bottom of the sump, both sides
and the rear of the pan.  I then cut out the inside of the
original pan near the welds.  This now provides a
capacity of 14 quarts to the old "5 quart line".

        I now need to put some sort of baffel(s)
or trap doors to slow the oil movement under hard
acceleration or braking.  I searched the NET and
saw a few examples of baffles and trap doors in little
fuzzy pictures.   I also have the option of moving the
pickup back to the front; however, that would require me
to replace the homemade oil shield around the
crank shaft.

         Need good technical info on a recommended
baffel {or whatever} configuration. HELP.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others