Re: Visit to Tigerland

To: "Daniel S. Eiland" <daniel@htg.net>,
Subject: Re: Visit to Tigerland
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 12:55:15 -0700
Daniel,

While many of us can offer information and opinions, only you can define a
"philosophy" regarding how you choose to restore your car. I know this
isn't nearly as easily done as said, but once you have a clear idea of what
your "dream Tiger" would be, then the outcome is much more likely to please
you, plus being a more cohesive ensemble. Daily driver, vintage racer, drag
car, garage/trailer queen, stock vs. modified, etc., etc.; you make the
call, then pick the parts accordingly.

Having said this, what's this guy's address??? ;-)

Regarding the TRI-Y headers, I assume these are the LAT-27's that were
redesigned by Doane Spencer from the Shelby TRY-Y's. They are supposed to
give about 25 HP over the stock Tiger manifolds, but of course that would
depend on what other components are on the engine. In order to use the cast
iron TRI-Y's, you also need the special (right side?) motor mount that goes
with these headers. The original pieces will have "HSC-1" and "HSC-2" cast
on the headers and motor mount, respectively. Supposedly, there are two
left hand side and two right hand side header pieces. I had this setup on
my Tiger for several years. I now have a set of S.S. headers I bought about
fifteen years ago. I believe they flow better than the TRI-Y's did, but
that I changed other things at the same time, so I can't be sure. If you
don't have a super high performance engine, I doubt that you would notice
much difference. There is also a rumor that the TRI-Y's keep the engine
compartment cooler than 100% tube type headers. Of course, you could use
the special insulating tape that's made for this purpose if you have a concern.

The F4B manifolds are long since out of production. They are not only a
period piece, but probably work as well as anything Edelbrock makes today.
And, it is an official LAT part if that's important to you. The F4B and
other high-rise manifolds leave very little air cleaner clearance, so this
may also be something to consider. I'm not sure what manifold is sold by
Branda with the Tiger label. Is this the equivalent of the Benevides high
rise LAT-1), or Benevides lo-rise (LAT-3) intakes?

Hope this helps some and Happy Hunting,

Bob

At 11:15 AM 7/3/99 -0600, Daniel S. Eiland wrote:
>Hi Listers,
>     Well, I wonder how many of us are still out there and not at SUNI.
>Taking the family to visit the in-laws in a week but taking a side trip to
>visit a fellow who has about a dozen Tigers and another dozen Alpines. I
>know he has been buying them for years and lives in the middle of nowhere.
>Who am I to complain, the reason I'm in the middle of nowhere is that's
>where the in-laws live too. When I talked with him last week he was telling
>me he has several F4B Manifolds and a box of TRI-Y headers and a bunch of
>hardtops in good condition. Looking for some input. Is it worth buying the
>F4B and TRI-Y headers or not? Would I be better served to save my money and
>buy the Cobra Manifold labeled Tiger sold by Branda and keep the tube style
>CAT headers that were on my car when I bought it? The Cat headers are mid
>70's Cat headers. I'm making a list of all the parts I want so I don't
>forget in the excitement of being in the precense of so many great Sunbeams.
>Dan
>daniel@htg.net
>B382002652LRXFE

Robert L. Palmer