Re: Oil Pan stuff

To: "Tim Ronak" <timinvan@fox.nstn.ca>
Subject: Re: Oil Pan stuff
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:53:11 -0400
At 07:45 AM 7/13/99 -0600, you wrote:
>James,
>Did I read correctly that you went to a front sump pan? The reason I ask is
>that i am new to Ford stuff, having been a Chevy guy...forever.  The reason
>I ask is that I am curious if now under extended acceleration if you notice
>any drop in oil pressure? As I gather parts I certainly want to be gathering
>the right parts so that this winter i can begin improving my car.
>Thanks,
>Tim Ronak
>
>PS: Have you heard of a Morroso Oil Accumulator otherwise known as an
>Accusump? We used one on out GT-1 car with great success to "save" our
>engine under hard cornering and braking.

        I have 3 vertical baffles plus one horizontial baffel in the new
pan that slows the oil flow to the rear.  Even with a 351C I can brake
harder than I can accelerate.  I also brake hard more often than I
accelerate very hard.  I was having loss of oil pressure during hard
braking.
        I previously tried to get around this with a "Barrett"
Oil Accumulator.  This was made from an inverted (vertically mounted)
fire extenguisher case as an accumulator
that held a few quarts of oil when half way full.  I had a 1/2" oil line
that ran from the top rear oil passage plug on the 351C ( behind the
intake manifold)to the bottom of the accumulator.  A solonide operated
valve was inserted into the line to shut off the oil flow with the key off.
The 60 lb of oil pressure in normal running, pressurized the accumulator's
entrapped air.
I also had a pressure gauge in the top of the accumulator for information
purposes.  When the oil pressure in the motor dropped below that in the
accumulator the oil would flow back to the motor.  This was great for cold
starts as I would turn on the key and see 20 psi of pressure before I
started the motor.  However; when I lost oil pressure due to braking hard
the pressure from the accumulator seemed to cause it to take longer for the
oil pressure gauge to come back up.  This, I assume, was due to oil flowing
 backward through the oil pump at that point in time.  I may have been
oiling the mains and rods at this time, but the gauge didn't indicate it.
The thing that was missing in the motor was a check valve in the port
leading from the oil pump.  I know of no motor with this type of a check
valve which should make the accumulator much more effective.  I removed
the "Barrett" accumulator when I replaced the pan with the full depth, full
length baffled oil pan.  So far I have not dropped below 60 PSI period,
(except once I almost killed the motor because I didn't get the clutch in
fast enough and my RPM dropped to 200 and the oil pressure dropped to
40 psi).  I have a new high volume oil pump in the pan.
        Also had a jury rigged circuit on the solonide to apply full voltage
for a couple of seconds to activate the valve and then after that the current
 was limited to "holding" current to prevent the solonid from overheating.
This was make up of a relay, a long RC time constant and a dropping resistor.
All part of my "Do it yourself" stuff.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others