K+N Vs paper

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: K+N Vs paper
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:15:25 -0400
     Way back in my youth, I remember the family having a lawn mower with
     an air filter that was partly filled with oil.  Today they all use
     paper, including the one I've had as long as I've been married.  Still
     runs fine.  Weren't there also some old cars that used oil filled air
     filters?  Nobody does that today.  Paper filters rule.

     It just seems intuitively that a lower restriction filters must have
     more open area to pass air.  Sure, oil covered screens will pick up
     some of the micro dust, but I'll bet more gets through a K+N that
     through paper.  Is a couple more horsepower worth the risk to the
     engine?  If you're a racer, or like to do rebuilds, maybe.   But for
     the street?  Maybe not.

     Stu