Re: INQUIRY 071699A

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>, "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Subject: Re: INQUIRY 071699A
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:08:25 -0700
Guys,

I believe Larry's reaction was similar to mine, but I resisted the
temptation to "go physicist" and point out the requirement that all forces
are in balance; i.e., flexible though the air dam might be, it still
transmits the same force to the lower valence to which it's attached. BTW
Steve, I still like my Taurus chin spoiler down there, but it looks like
the late model Mustang one is very similar.

Well, TTFN

Bob

At 01:55 PM 7/21/99 -0700, Steve Laifman wrote:
>"Wright, Larry" wrote:
>

> >  Robert Hogan wrote:
> >  <The cut, formed and painted plastic strip made an
> >  <excellently deformable air dam as it held shape under aerodynamic
> >  significant loading to
> >  <the supporting structure.
>
>I guess that all depends upon how much load one believes is "significant".  He
>didn't say "none", and he's probably right.
>
>Then again, getting jack under the x-member is already a challenge.  Some
>quick-release pins or dzus fasteners may be the answer.  It would help the
>cooling, at speed.  Need an electric fan for slow traffic.

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES
619-822-1037 (o)
760-599-9927 (h)