Re: inquiry 072699a (#12)

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>,
Subject: Re: inquiry 072699a (#12)
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:30:27 -0700
Larry,

Thanks for the informative post. Glad to hear you're feeling well enough to
undertake this work, especially considering the heat and humidity. I won't
torture you with the weather report from Sundyeggo. ;-)

A couple of comments prompted by you post. First, and it's a moot point in
your case, but I've had the misfortune to have one of the crossmember bolts
fall out of the socket while trying to get them installed. BUMMER!!,
because they fall inside the crossmember and you have to drop it, turn it
over and shake the damned thing out. Or maybe you can snag it with a
magnetic pickup tool if you're real lucky. But, to avoid this possibility,
use a little tape stuck inside the socket to make sure it won't come out
until you really get it threaded into the frame.

Regarding the question of positioning of the crossmember before you tighten
it down, you should check the axle-to-axle distances on each side to get it
square with the rear axle. But, of course, that assumes the rear axle is
square with the chassis, doesn't it. And then there's the question of
side-to-side alignment too. If you were really fanatical about this, you
would drop plumb lines down from each axle to the floor and then measure
the distances, including the diagonals, and adjust accordingly. Most of us
are just happy to get all four bolts in without having to bend the frame or
grind the holes bigger. ;-)  Another point, I assume you have left the rack
mounts in the same location rather than having them moved back 1/2" as Dale
and others have done to improve the steering geometry. I forget just what's
stock and what's not on your setup. In any case, I don't think moving the
crossmember back the 1/8" or so you have to play with would make any real
difference in terms of fan clearance. I would suggest you check the fan and
see if there's paint missing from it and take a little off there if need be.

Sounds like you're in the home stretch. Keep up the good work!!

TTFN,

Bob

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES