Tiger/Corvette

To: <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tiger/Corvette
From: "The Charltons" <charlton@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 13:37:21 -0500
Hello listers,
I'm pretty new to this list and have some catching up to do.  I've admired
the Tiger, as well as other high performance cars, since my teen years.
I've owned TR3s, Spitfire, Jag Mk IIs, mini Cooper, Fiats (mea culpa!), a
handful of older BMWs, and always on the lookout for a bargain Morgan, but
am now in a position to actually consider ownership of something with higher
performance (but Morgan Plus 8 prices are pretty much out of sight).  Living
in Texas, I'm not seeing many Tigers for sale within easy driving distance,
but there are plenty of older Corvettes, etc. here.  There are a lot of
things I like about the Tiger (admittedly, only from reading) and am leaning
in that direction, but the easy availability of Corvettes makes them
tempting -- I'm not
talking about anything newer than a '62 model Corvette.  From the ads I'm
seeing, Corvette prices are higher, but this is not my main concern.

What I'm after is a comparison in performance, handling, and some of the
harder-to-quantify esthetics of both.  I drove a nice street-restored '62
Corvette today (fuelie, supposedly 360 hp gross) and like the feel and look
of it, and performance was good, but not awe-inspiring, and am not sure that
one's for me.

If a reader of this list has driven, or especially, owned both a Tiger and
pre-63 Corvette please comment on your impressions of both.  This being a
Tiger list, after all, I expect to get comments in favor of the
Tiger.  This is fine but please explain why you favor the Tiger.  All out
accelleration is not my #1 priority, but knowing all-around what kind of
cars these are to live with is pretty high on my list.  I have
some interest in autocross and expect to own a street-drivable car, ie: not
a show car that must be pampered.

Thanks in advance,
Duncan
charlton@flash.net