Re: Aluminum heads

To: "Michael M. Kelly" <mcgrathx@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum heads
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 19:19:14 -0400
At 06:51 PM 8/2/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Anyone out there have any experience with aluminum heads on a Tiger?
>Superior
>performance and weight savings would seem to make them a natural for our
>cars
>provided they fit without modification and don't induce any more cooling
>problems
>than we already have.  Any arguments for or against would be
>appreciated.
>Michael

Michael,
        I had stock aluminum heads on a 3.8 L Mustang and twice the
heads(combustion chamber) corroded into the water jacket.  I was very
careful to keep fresh  antifreeze/ water mixture in the Mustang, but it
happened anyway.  I have also noticed a similar problem with
Aluminum manifolds where they contact the coolent.  The aluminum
heads can be TIG welded and remachined much cheaper than a
cast iron head.  Most after-market aluminum head manufactures claim
better performance than the stock cast iron heads.
The lighter weight is also an advantage.
        You pays your money and takes your chances.

        I talked to an old  Mercury outboard repairman and he
stated that Mercury had added copper to their aluminum alloy
to make the alloy easier to cast.  This copper within the
alloy caused self electrolis of the casting when in contact
with water.  Susposedly Mercury finally changed the alloy
to solve the problem.  My guess is that the head manufactures
are more interested in low cost casting than long life alloys.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others