RE: polished Stainless

To: "'Daniel S. Eiland'" <daniel@htg.net>,
Subject: RE: polished Stainless
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:24:24 -0600
Dan,

Polishing a surface is exactly the opposite of what you'd do if you wanted paint
to stick to it. Now I know there are lots of folks who do clearcoating of
polished surfaces, but unless you do the surface prep exactly right (and I don't
know what that would entail), the clearcoat will peel very easily.
The best way (IMHO) to keep your SS and aluminum bits bright is to use elbow
grease.
I use an impregnated cloth material called "Nevr-Dull" to brighten up aluminum
and stainless pieces, and they keep their shine for quite a while up here where
the air is dry. I guess if you're near the ocean or somewhere with a lot of air
pollution it might not last as long. The nice thing about this stuff is that it
doesn't stain the paint or anything so it doesn't matter if you get some of the
stuff on the paint; I've even used it to remove stubborn bugs, tar, etc. from
the paint.

Hope this helps,

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com