Re: Porous wheels

To: Tim Ronak <timinvan@fox.nstn.ca>
Subject: Re: Porous wheels
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 12:33:49 -0700
Tim,

The air seeping thru the aluminum wheels is really due to a poor porous casting.
Easy cure - use tubes, or wire wheel type inner liners, or rubbery coatings to
seal small fissure paths.

 Of course this doesn't alter any strength loss a real crack may have caused.  A
clear coat over a powder coat is the usual technique for the new wheels, and
they
look pretty good.  See the Panasport.  The new factory ones they choose to
chrome
are of much better quality than our early technology cast wheels, or after
market
cheapies, and their costs reflect this.  Pretty flashy for a sixties car anyway.

Well, anyone is entitled to their taste.  Thanks for the hints on clear-coating
old wheels, though, and the caution about racing heat.

I have some stuff called Never Dull I got at Pep Boys.  It comes in a can, and
has
cotton soaked in a chemical.  Tear of a wad and rub it on the polished aluminum
and in really shines it up with no abrasive action, or hard rubbing.  Shouldn't
be
used on the non polished cast surfaces, though.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/