Re: Dash installation

To: "Daniel S. Eiland" <daniel@htg.net>
Subject: Re: Dash installation
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:49:27 -0700
Dan,

While I said I had no recommendations, as I haven't done it, I decided I did
have
some info from other experiences.

While labeling the wires is not a bad idea, and should be done for safety, I
have
read a better method somebody else did.

They removed each gauge, and switch, one at a time, and re-connected the wires
the proper terminals with them hanging down.  Some support, such as a cardboard
box, may be a good idea.  When you go to replace them, just reverse the
procedure.  One at a time.

You may want to get a special switch tool, or make one from some tubing.  Just
get
the tube the same ID as the switch nut.  Use a flat file to leave two 'ears'
hanging out that fit the switch slot.  Makes R&R a lot easier.

If you want a copy of your wiring, in color, they were made for our web site.  I
could send one to you, if you remind me whether you have a MkI, MkIA, or MkII.

The back side of the glass may be dirty, and you may want to remove the bezels
clean the inside, and maybe re-paint faded needles.  Paint, in dayglow red,
available at model shops.

When replacing the instruments, consider an O-ring between the instrument and
the
dash.  I did that to all the instruments.  Available at some good speedo shops,
or
Home Depot plumbing department.  Don't worry if the size isn't exactly large
enough, or it's also too thick.  They stretch to fit and get skinnier.  Our HD
has
drawers full of o-rings.  This I've done.

If you disconnect them for these purposes at one time, your going to have to
label
every wire.

Watch that the wandering ground goes to every original place, and is, itself,
grounded.

Steve

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/