Re: Torque Spec

To: Chris Vaught <CVaught@hawaii.rr.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Torque Spec
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:06:45 -0700
Chris,

Apparently, this is another of those torque specs that "went missing" in
the Shop Manual. If you use grade 8 bolts, or another grade, the pedigree
of which you are certain, you can take the torque spec for that particular
bolt from the SAE tables. I don't really think these particular bolts need
to be grade 8, or even to be torqued to their yield point. You just don't
want them coming loose on you. For this reason, I'd recommend Loctite on
these bolts, and definitely on the flywheel bolts (80 lbs-ft) since they
can also leak oil if not sealed.

Welcome aboard and good luck with the project. From what I've heard, you
picked the best clutch available.

Bob in San Diego

At 04:31 PM 8/18/99 -1000, Chris Vaught wrote:
>Does anyone know the torque for the clutch plate to the flywheel on a 289?
>I am using a centerforce gold clutch. Thanks for the help
>Chris

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES
619-822-1037 (o)