Re: Master Cylinder Bore

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder Bore
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:30:53 -0700

On responding to changing bores on master cylinders, dad wrote:

>My son Jay has done some of this on his Alpine, when he removed the servo,
so he
>may have specific part numbers and results.  Of course, his legs are a
good deal
>stronger than mine.

Just two points of clarification, (1) dad's clutch is stiffer than any
peddle on any of my cars, and (2) I did not use the smaller bore because I
removed the servo, I removed the servo because I used the smaller bore.  I
had to use the smaller bore because it was the only MC I could find that
would fit between the firewall and my dual Webers.  I did run the smaller
bore and the 1.9:1 servo for a while.  But it felt far too mealy to me.

I got the 1.9:1 servo from VB.  For all I know, what I was experiencing was
a problem with the servo itself, not the combination.  To be more specific,
with the servo, the pedal was very light, had even more travel, and seemed
to actually have sort of a light thump to it before it really firmed up -
but even without that slight thump, the travel until it firmed up was a
little unnerving.   I would not have thought the servo would affect the
travel length.  But, the pedal certainly now starts getting firmer higher.
Maybe it still gets to full firmness at the same spot, but I don't think
so.

One other detail is that with the dual Webers, I have one runner per
cylinder.  So the vacuum was only coming off of one cylinder, although I
did have a one way vacuum valve in the line to keep the vacuum stored in
the servo.

Jay