Hardtop Gaskets

To: Tiger Email Network <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hardtop Gaskets
From: Stu Brennan <sbrennan@master.ncounty.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:49:49 -0400
Last weekend I replaced all the bottom gaskets on my hardtop with Curt's
set of replacements.  They went on as expected, no problems.  Needless
to say, the new rubber has a bit more substance to it, and should reduce
the wind noise by a noticeable amount.

There's only one problem.  I just tried to install the hardtop on the
Tiger, and the gasket under the rear window is so stiff that I can't get
the trunk latch pins engaged.  Also, the door post pads are so thick
that I can't get those latches closed.  The cross section of the old
gasket matched the new perfectly, and the thickness of the door post
pads could well be the same as that of my shriveled originals when they
were new.

So the question is:  Do these rubber pieces quickly relax on their own,
or have people had to do some trimming to get their tops seated
properly?

Stu