Rubber rulers

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Rubber rulers
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 11:29:52 -0400
Folks,
        Conserning a conversion from a 4 speed manual to an automatic
for my 351C and my bad back.  I had asked for the length of C6 and C4
transmissions.  Well I now have postive proof of the exact
length of a C4.
        These are published figures for a C4 length I have found so far:
        24 1/4"
        27 3/4"
        30 1/8"
        30 1/4"
        30 1/2"
        31 3/8"

        Likewise for a C6:
        28 1/2"
        28 3/4"
        33 1/2"

        The location of the transmission mounting holes for a C4:
        19 3/4"
        20 1/4"
        20 3/4"

        As you can see from the above numbers I can go to the
junk yard and pick up any transmission and slap it in with a
perfect fit and no driveshaft modifications.  All I have to do
is either stretch the transmission or squeeze it together a bit
to make it fit perfectly!
         I also assume I could stretch a 5 bolt bell housing to
fit a 6 bolt motor as well.  I think that while I am stretching
and squeezing things, I might as well stretch the bore of my motor
to 8" and squeeze the length and width by about 4"  to allow more
clearance.

        I still have a hundred or so Hot Rod , Popular Hot Rod
and similar documents to search for "exact" measurments.
Have done a long Internet search as well.

        I have a junk Ford automatic transmission that is 31 3/8" long
with the numbers:

        PED BC
        D4FAUB120

        Can anyone identify this transmission?