inquiry 091799a (new product)

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 091799a (new product)
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:51:50 -0400
        Tiger Folk:
        Actually, I don't know if it's 'new', but it's a piece of
Sunbeamobilia I had not heard about before. I've received an e-mail, in
response to an inquiry I made, from a Mr. Chuck Hixon from Georgia. I
found his web page, which is full (no exaggeration) of little HO (1/87)
slot cars and his track. One of them is a little Sunbeam Tiger! Here's
his site:

http://www.woodward.edu/hixon/slots/slots.htm

        I asked if he made the Tiger body from scratch, or if it's
commercially available, and he said:

> Larry,
> The Tiger and a number of my cars is from:
> Bodeez by Neidert
> 8633 Leaver Rd
> Canal Fulton, OH 44614
> (330) 854-4129
> Randy Neidert
> Lexan and vinyl bodies for various HO-scale cars.
>       They are vinyl bodies that are vacuum formed.
>You paint them on the inside and do detail work either
>first on the inside (I find that a bit too tedious) or later
>on the outside.  These are HO scale, which means about
>3 inches in length.  I have had a great deal of fun building
>my cars. The bodies themself are relatively inexpensive
>(under $2) and the mounts for various types of HO chassis
>are even less.  The chassis themselves can be one of several
>types (Tyco, Tomy Turbo or Tomy SG+, or LifeLike)  For
>someone just starting I wouldsuggest the LifeLike.  They are
>fast, but also somewhat more driver friendly. A good place
>to buy chassis is:
> Bud's H.O. Cars
> 2 Westbrook Drive
> Cortland Manor, NY 10567
> (914) 526-4950 voice & fax
> Rob Budano
> 98Sep: New address!
> Store hours: Mon-Fri 12-7pm, Sat-Sun 10am-8pm.
> cars and parts: Aurora, AFX, TOMY, Life-Like, Tyco
> Call or write for a price list.
> Best time to call is from noon to 8pm EST Mon-Fri
> All of this info and more is at:
> http://www.spies.com/~ahm/ho/resources.html
>
>       I like Tomy track the best, but you might find
>Tyco or LifeLike easier to find and more reasonably
>priced. I use water based acrylics and I brush mine on,
>but many people use an airbrush. Regular enamel model
>paint does not work well because the bodies flex when they
>crash and it cracks.

        I have not yet called either of these companies, but sure can be
sure I will. As you can see from the images on Chuck's web page, the car
is not 100% true to scale, with the windshield frame way too small.
Also, it appears to have fender flares (well, there goes resale value!).

        At least, here's a way to go racing without worrying about
fulcrum pin failures! :^)

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic Division
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333