Autotransmission Swap

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Autotransmission Swap
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 19:47:34 -0400
Folks,
        Turns out the bell housing on a C4 with a 164
tooth gear is larger than the manual steel bell housing for
the 164 tooth gear, ( which is larger than the aluminum
bellhousing for the 157 tooth gear.)  To make a long
story short, with my motor moved back 1 1/4" the C4
bell housing would not fit.  Likewise if it had fit
then the side of the transmission would hit the tunnel.
(on the passenger side).  Any one notice that the Tiger
tunnel is offset to the drivers side?
I wonder if the right hand drive versions are offset to the
other side?
        Spent Saturday and Sunday fabricating a new wider/taller
transmission tunnel out of 18 gauge steel.  Almost done with the welding.
        The reason I went with the C4 instead of an
AOD, EAOD or C6 was that I thought the C4 would fit
without changing the tunnel.  Maybe, I should get an
Automatic out of the Space Shuttle transporter.  It
would probably fit now.
        Got a real nice B&M shifter that works as
both a gated shifter or as a ratchet shifter.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others