inquiry 101899e

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 101899e
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:19:30 -0400
        I was finishing up the last few things on the GQ (really! and a
new "underneath" coming) when I noticed some "dampness" on the fuel
pump. I cleaned it off well, and 2 days later it was back. It's in
several places. Where the lines attach to the pump, you have the lines
that end in a brass nut "A", then a double-male adapter fitting "B", and
then the female threads in the housing "C"; it seems to be weeping from
the A-B connection and/or the B-c connection, it's hard to tell. PLus, I
see some some dampness form the gasketing where the two halves of the
pump are fastened together with a ring of screws. Once out of the car
where I could look at it, a few screws, primarily at the bottom, yielded
a fraction of a turn.
        Well, I don't want to stick it back in and still have it leak.
Any comments? I was thinking about using Permatex (whatever version is
fuel-proof) (btw, that's nearly a pun) on everything and just sticking
it all back together, but I'm not certain. This is a 4-5 year old pump
from SS, their 'enhanced' pump, probably 1,500 miles on it but a lot of
sitting; other than this, it works great. I even like the noise; it's a
reminder that the pump is still working. :^)
        I do not recall what I'll  find if I 'split' the pump at the
ring of screws. When I got the car 8-1/2 years back, it didn't run, but
the fact that it would run if someone strayed started fluid down the
carb and only that wrong, plus the new set of pump breaker point in the
trunk, suggested that the previous owner knew that it needed new pump
points before he died. So, w/out a manual, or a clue, I opened it up and
shoved the points in any old way, and the car started right up. But now
I don't remember what it's like inside the pump.

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333