Re: Bosch Platinums

To: twojohnsons@home.com
Subject: Re: Bosch Platinums
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 09:39:07 -0800
Guys,

Thanks for the interesting comments. Regarding the related comments of
Larry and Steve, I believe the quite long service I got out of the BF45s
indicates that oil consumption is not a big problem with this motor, as
long as I'm using hot enough plugs. The BF124s are evidently very COLD
plugs. I'm sure they had less the 5k miles before I replaced them, and even
less before they started showing a problem. I would mention that I have
molybdenum alloy piston rings (top only) in this engine. In my previous
rebuild I used two moly rings per piston. That engine never did quit using
oil - about a quart every 500-1,000 miles. When I took the engine apart, to
my great surprise I discovered that the first two rings on every piston had
the gaps lined up. Since I was very careful when I assembled it to place
the gaps as suggested in "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Ford", I have no
idea how they decided to line themselves up. In talking to various
"experts", most seemed to think it really didn't matter how you installed
the rings, because they would move around in use anyway. However, that
experience, plus previous of my own and others I know that have installed
moly rings, seem to indicate that getting moly rings to seal is a common
problem. So, the last rebuild I used one moly and one plain iron ring.
Depending on the oil I use and other factors, I now get about 1,500 - 2,000
miles per quart oil consumption, although it took awhile for it to get this
good. I believe this oil use is still primarily oil getting by the rings,
not down the valve guides, but this is a an assumption based on my previous
moly ring experience and the fact that the oil use has steadily declined
over the approximately 35k miles on this rebuild.

My assumption is that the two cylinders that had the carboned up plugs
still using a little more oil because the moly rings are not yet fully
sealed. But once the carbon buildup begins, it probably goes from bad to
worse very quickly, once they start misfiring.

Regarding Chris' endorsement of the Bosch Plus 4s, I like the fact that
they are unshrouded and indexing would be a moot point as well. But can you
set the gaps? (you would have to set four per plug!) I may give them a try
next time though. What was the part number for the ones you used in the
Tiger ('65 Mustang application)?