Re: busted stud...

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: busted stud...
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 08:34:53 -0500
Colin, if you are using the lugs with a lubricant, like oil or anti
seize, then you lower the torque by the % recommended for the type of
lubricant you are using.  The OEM specs for torque are for dry lugs.

When I went to the track, in another car, the Tech Officials were ready
to torque to 60 ft-lb, until I told them that I had anti seize on the
lugs, and they backed off to 45 ft-lbs.

While 1/2" lugs are better, 7/16" should do, unless you have a really
stressful situation, as in racing with larger tires/more rubber on the
road.

If you can drill a hole in the backing plate, you can use a dead blow
hammer, and the lugs with pop out after several blows. I did it to both
rear wheels, with no problem.  Same is true for installing new lugs.

BTW, get new lugs from Curt or Rick, before hand, as the Tiger lugs are
really hard/impossible to find.

Larry