Ulysses

To: <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ulysses
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 05:28:32 -0400
Hi Guys,
     So 10 or 12 years ago, when preparing to paint my first car, I got a
BRG from a local auto paint supply house.  Never finished that car (a bit
too much rust for an amateur), but the interior was done in that BRG over
black epoxy primer.
     Fast forward to present.  My second car (wrecked, clipped, a bit too
much everything for an amateur, but dry and I refuse to quit) is close to
paint and after chasing numerous cars down freeways, chatting up
disinterested people in parking lots standing next to their green whatzis
and looking for the holy grail of the perfect BRG stand in.....I walked into
the old garage the other day where the first car sits patiently (a member of
the Tiger First Wives Club, maybe actually a bit peeved), dusted (shoveled?)
off the cobwebs and realized that I'd been wasting my time;  it's still the
best BRG that I've seen!
     So why is the list burdened with James Joycean run-on sentences like
that last one?  Well, I'd really like to know what it is!  The color was on
a factory car, but there was no factory pack, which sent me to the
aftermarket way back when.  This paint was the factory code in a particular
mfr's product.  The local supplier is still there, still carries the brand
and the product line (although I'm sure the chemistry has changed), and
happily mixed a new quart.  But they expressed some dismay that the inside
of the label, when popped off the old can, did NOT have the exact specs
written on it (common practice I take it).
     So I tried another quart using the factory code that had gotten me the
original.
Ran test panels today with the old one, the new one, and another batch from
ten years ago with the factory code from a different mfr.  None the same and
guess which one I like?
     The question before the assembled elders of the Jedi Council is:

          --At $50 /quart, my enthusiasm for continued shots in the dark is
waning
                 rapidly and there seems no way to find a record of how this
was made.
                 Has anyone ever tried to match paint with the new scanners
                 (spectrographic?) or any other method that didn't depend on
direct
                 knowledge of original mixing specs and did it work.

Suggestions?!!

                                                    Chris Hill