Scanning paint colors

To: "'Pirouette@uisreno.com'" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Subject: Scanning paint colors
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 13:29:23 -0600
Chris,
I just can't resist commenting being the Sikkens Paint guy that I am. Most
of the manufacturers now have photospectrometers that can retrieve a formula
from existing databases. The problem is that it is only from the known list
of existing formulas. Hears the good news! Sikkens has had a
photospectrometer for over 15 years and it is technology that we use  to
develop formulas on all new vehicles at ports of entry by reading the actual
colors on the new cars. As you might expect even on new cars, two cars
painted the same code can be very different colors if the humidity is
different, air pressure changes or car color before it is not completely
cleaned from the lines. Our scanner, unlike others that have one light
source and three "reading heads" as it assumes that the human eye sees three
angles at once, our scanner has three light sources (to replicate the fact
that sunlight CAN affect color from more than one angle at a time) and one
"reading Head" that you reposition four times to create and average reading.
The cool thing about out scanner is that all you need is a shiny sample of
the color you like on a relatively flat surface about 2"X2" and we can
create the color. While it is difficult to make some of the silver dollar or
3 stage color formulas it is fantastic at solid colors and can usually
create a butt match and will always create a blendable match to your color
sample. The scanner tool we use is called Automatchic ® and is available all
over the US at either Sikkens distributors or through our corporate stores
called Akzo Nobel.
Best Regards,
Tim Ronak
B382000680