Re: replacement gauges - 2nd request

To: "Tim Beloney" <65_s5v6@prontomail.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: replacement gauges - 2nd request
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:36:10 -0800
Tim,

XKs Unlimited sells a full line of Smiths gauges, including those used for
replacements on 427 Cobras and Cobra replicas. They also have Stewart
Warner gauges that look like they might work as well, as least in terms of
being the right diameter. Their URL is:

                 http://www.xks.com/

I'm sure there are other sources for these gauges. You might try some of
the suppliers listed at this site:

                 http://www.team.net/sol/britpart.html

(BTW, it includes Mark Bradakis' Fat Chance Garage)

I bought my Smiths Cobra tachometer from this place. It is the most
accurate instrument on my car (not counting my quartz crystal watch
anyway). I'm not sure what visual effect you are looking for, but it
appears from your list of suppliers that original is not your goal.
Personally, I'd recommend that you at least consider sticking with
Smiths/Jaeger gauges in order to maintain the visual effect which is more
compatible with the overall character of the car. But, of course, it's your
car, your money, and most importantly, your taste that counts.

Hope this helps some Tim, and good luck.

TTFN,

Bob

At 03:07 PM 11/21/99 -0800, Tim Beloney wrote:
>Anyone have suggestions for a replacement kit?  I can't find an old style
>series with chrome
>bezel that has a speedometer and tachometer larger than 3 3/8".  I've
>looked at Autometer,
>VDO, and Stuart warner.
>
>Thanks.
>
>PS: Thanks to the two suggestions I got.

Robert L. Palmer
Univ. of Calif., San Diego
Department of AMES
rpalmer@ucsd.edu