Re: 302

To: "Dr. T. Y. McDowell" <tym@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: 302
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:18:03 -0500
Tym, I just finished the 5.0L w/ T-5 conversion, with the help of John
Logan, who wrote a super article on this.  There was also a follow up
article from another Tiger owner, can't find the article or his name,
that was also helpful for various parts.

If you have a late model 5.0L you will need a different crank pulley to
clear the R&P, a Ford 460 pulley fits.  They are available from March
Pulley in billet alum.

The trans support has to be fabricated to fit the T-5, as you can not
use the old trans support.  This can be made with 1.5" angle iron, or
square tubing.  I used the angle iron.  I installed the engine, had the
car level, then put a level on the manifold to level the engine, and
then fitted the trans cross member with tack weld, with final welding
after out of the car. You need to do this so that the crab sits
correctly, and the angle of the drive shaft will be correct.

The trans tunnel needs to be modified to accept the T-5, as the shifter
sits back further, and in the center, not off to the side as the top
loader.  I took about 10" out, measured from the cross member, installed
the engine and trans, and then fitted the replacement sheet metal around
the shifter.

The structural cross member also has to moved back, by the thickness of
the cross member, as this hits the trans shifter.

The rare tail shaft you spoke of is indeed rare, and would be
hard/impossible to find today.  I liked the standard T-5, as these are
readily available, and if it breaks, easy to find and replace.

You also need to take care of the clutch hydraulics.  The std slave
clutch doesn't work, because it pushes, and you need to pull with the
T-5 clutch.  I used a McCloud hydraulic through out bearing, with the
stock clutch m/c.  They are not cheap, but work.

The motor mounts, drive shaft, speedo cable all work.  The center arm
rest needs to be cut and moved back, because of the reposition of the
structural cross member.

Again John Logan was very helpful with his article.  While I can't
volunteer John, he is on line and you might ask his help.

I may do an article with picture, but still reassembling the car at present.

Good luck.

Larry