Conv top problem

To: <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Conv top problem
From: "The Charltons" <charlton@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:20:50 -0600
I've noticed that ever since I got my Tiger that the lower pivot for the top
mechanism (above and behind the passenger door, under the chrome cover)
seemed different from one side to the other, the right side
seemingly having more flex.  It appeared to have two pivot points, and I
thought this was perhaps the design required this to get the top folded
properly.  Well, today I discovered that one of the pivot points was not
designed into the mechanism, rather the middle of the bolt that attaches the
top's upright to the hinge part below was flexing where the two parts
attach.  Some PO had made a spacer up between the upright and the
nut on the threaded part, allowing unintended movement.  The break in the
threads is almost completely flush with the surface of the upright.

My problem is that I can't see exactly what is inside the upright.  I can
see a barrel-shaped piece about 1-1/2" from the lower end of the upright,
and I assume this either contains the head of the bolt (in which case it
seems to be rotateable) or has a captive nut inside.  Using the tips of a
small set of side cutters, I've tried turning, bit
by bit, what's left of the threaded piece for a total of about about 1-1/2
turns, but it doesn't seem to be measurably backing out.  Can someone tell
me which way to go with this before I damage something else?

Duncan Charlton
B9473116