[Re: 302]

To: tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Re: 302]
From: Steve Wickland <wickland@poseidontech.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:48:05 -0800
Jim Morrison wrote:

> Tym,
>
> I am the one who put that in my column in the Rootes Review.  I thoroughly
> investigated the 5-speed for the Tiger and, for me, concluded that I did not
> want to do all the things that Larry Paulick tackled ("trans support has to
> be fabricated to fit the T-5, as you can not use the old trans support",
> "The trans tunnel needs to be modified to accept the T-5, as the shifter
> sits back further, and in the center, not off to the side as the top
> loader.", "The structural cross member also has to be moved back, by the
> thickness of the cross member, as this hits the trans shifter.", "The std
> slave clutch doesn't work, because it pushes, and you need to pull with the
> T-5 clutch.", " The center arm rest needs to be cut and moved back, because
> of the reposition of the structural cross member.")
>
> Dale Akuzewski of Dales British in Calif. (909.799.2099) has put together
> kits to provide a bolt on T-5.  I does depend on that rare AMC tailshaft .
> But, if you can find one, it allows the shifter to come up through the stock
> hole by rotating the transmission.  That is the way I wanted to go and that
> was the source for the reference in the article.
>
> Jim Morrison

Jim & Tym,
I did the transformation early this summer and yes transformation is
the right word.  I think that the results are fantastic!  My only regret
is that I waited 3 1/2 years with the 5.0L in my garage  before getting
it done.

I had help.  John Logan, Tom Hall & Paul Reisentz all gave me ideas,
parts or helped out.  Paul can sell you the trans mount and front
pulley.

Some folks don't want to cut their car, I respect that.  It does make
project quite a bit harder and more expensive if you don't.  I cut mine
and saved the parts, I know that I'll never go back to stock but I have
them.  The shifter is in a better location than stock.  If you drop your
hand straight down from the wheel the shift ball is right under it.

I know there are a handfull of 5 liter lurkers out there.  How do you
like the results?  Was it worth it?

Steve W.