Re: Hard Top Trim

To: Stu Brennan <sbrennan@master.ncounty.net>
Subject: Re: Hard Top Trim
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 11:21:48 -0800
Stu Brennan wrote:

> I'm reinstalling the trim strips around the rear window my Tiger factory
> hard top.  Or, I should perhaps say installing because they've never
> been on the top during my ownership.  I have the two clips, replacements
> that I bought probably in the late '70s, but  I want to be sure of what
> to do with them.  The originals did not come with the car.
>
> The outer part that matches the contour of the trim is easy to figure
> out.  There is, however, a tab on the back that now would be sticking
> straight into the gasket and top, but I'm guessing that this is supposed
> to be crimped down against the backside of the trim strip to hold it in
> place.  Am I right?  If not, then what?
>
> Is this usually enough to hold the strips in place, or have some of you
> added a little adhesive or RTV or something?
>
> Stu Brennan

Stu,

Most have this installed incorrectly, per my survey at the Big Bear Concour.
That
straight piece of the clip should not be bent.  It is supposed to stick straight
forward.  Sunbeam Specialties has new Stainless ones if yours are in bad shape.

The trick is:

1) The Plexiglas must be shaped and sized properly.  Some replacements do not
fit
well.  Once again, Rick at Sunbeam Specialties has a correct window.

2) The rubber must be of new, good quality with the proper shape and contours
and
that waxy assembly crud that you need a special remover to get off (mine was
installed in my garage by guys that go to body shops and homes and know their
stuff and have the solvents.  Same with front windshield).   Once again, Rick at
Sunbeam Specialties has a correct rubber, specially molded in his own mold.

3)  The window is installed into the rubber, and centered first.  The stainless
trim and clips are installed next. At this point you will discover that those
flat
tabs lay flush against the ribbed rubber that is supposed to go into the window
steel rimmed hole.

4) A pull rope is installed in the rubber groove and the window is put into the
hard top from the outside to the inside.  Here is where you should have your top
mounted to align all the metal and secure the movement from the installation
pushing and pulling.  The interior headliner should already be glued down in
back,
with a fold over the window lip.

5)  The window/rubber/trim is inserted into the window hole and those tabs stay
against the rubber and fit through the top hole at top and bottom.  This will
trap
that clip in a very tight sandwich.  The rope is pulled on the inside to get the
rubber lip over the window steel edge as it is being pushed from the outside.  A
two man job.

When you are done, you will no longer see that flat piece, as it is firmly
sandwiched between the rubber and the top.  The inner edge of the stainless trim
should have remained in the rubber slit, and the outer edge curled lip should
contain the outer edge of the rubber.  This may not lay flat against the top,
depending upon how straight everything is.

Good Luck,

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/