Fairmont

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Fairmont
From: Wally Menke <wallym@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 21:17:50 +1100 (EST)
>       I'm going to have to take your word on that one. I distinctly recall
>the Fairmont replacing the Maverick for the _1978_ model year. However, I
>also recall a few references in magazines to a Fairmont earlier than that
>for the Australian market; I have no idea if it's the same car or if it was
>available in 1976 or not. Either way, they got a lot of mileage out of one
>platform, about as bad as the would-it-ever-die Volvo 142 platform.
>
>Paul J. Burr wrote:
>http://poseur.4x4.org/

Fairmont is a Ford brand name associated with the Falcon that has been here
in Australia since about 1966? Ford started manufacture here of the Falcon
in 1960 with the XK Falcon, which was a dead ringer for the USA version. By
about 1965 they were making there own changes here so that it looked a bit
different to the USA versions. The Fairmont was and still is a tarted up
Falcon. The Falcon name still continues here on a car about the same size as
the US model Taurus. The current AU model is as ugly as sin. (In my
opinion). BTW the Fairlane name still exists here as well, it's a longer and
fancier Falcon.

Maybe Tony Day from Adelaide can add to this more accurately?