Jacob and the Timing retard

To: "'tsmit@isotel.com'" <tsmit@isotel.com>
Subject: Jacob and the Timing retard
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:00:05 -0600
Theo and listers,
Well Theo, we used to run a billet cam and it may have been that we were
experiencing some retard at high RPM. In fact, according to Les Davenport,
you want a slight declining ramp that starts to retard timing (Valve timing
if possible) at High 7000+ Rpm. (2 degrees total from 7000 to 8800).
Although we never saw timing retard on our engine as we ran a billet crane
cam that probably did not deflect as much as the cast ones. We did run a
bronze gear which deflected a little I am sure, as did the timing chain due
to the load placed on the end of the cam by the distributor and the oil
pump. The best tool to obtain that high RPM retard was to use a Jesel belt
drive for the cam timing gear and it would measurably stretch and create
high RPM cam timing retard as well as the distributor timing retard, by
definition, as it was attached to the cam.
I am still not a fan of the exotic ignition systems yet as I was turned off
by the Electromotive system. It was too high tech for me and I could not get
it to work as well as the HEI and MSD 6-T. With on board computers and crank
triggers it may well be different today.
Thoughts for today,
Regards,
Tim Ronak