RE: Land Speed Alpine Updates

To: "'DrMayf@aol.com'" <DrMayf@aol.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Land Speed Alpine Updates
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:09:55 -0700
Hi Mayf,

Great pictures. If everyone waited until they had museum quality pics, we'd
never get to see anything, and your pictures do show enough detail that we
can figure out what you're up to.

On the MAF plumbing:
It doesn't matter where you put them from a flow point of view because you
will be running the intake tract up to a certain absolute boost level, or
some level relative to the ambient air pressure, and the turbos will provide
whatever amount of airflow required to make that manifold pressure happen.

On the downside, some MAFs (specifically some hot-wire types) require a
nominally uniform flow distribution across the pipe because they only sense
the flow over a small portion of the pipe cross-section. It's way easier to
get uniform flow with the MAF located at the air cleaner inlet compared to
the turbo outlet, which typically have all kinds of bad flow patterns.

Good luck,
Theo Smit