inquiry 010300f

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 010300f
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 14:03:55 -0600
        I was able to take the Garage Queen out a couple of times during the
holidays; one trip was X-mas morning to make our usual, local, round of
family visits. We decided to stick to our "top down, no matter what, if dry"
style; the top hadn't been up since United XX (?) in Solomons, MD, in
October of 1998. And the local temperature here on X-mas morning was 22
degrees -- that's F, not C.
        No top and no heat. The heater core was rebuilt, and the control
valve, when the engine was replaced. New hoses, too. But the control cable
was broken. I did try a hint, right off this list, of cutting down a
Pep-Boys-grade generic choke cable. That didn't work because the stiffness
of the new wire wasn't sufficient; it deformed at the dash-lever end. It
"pulls" OK, but won't "push". So, Saturday, Susan was yelling in my ear --
she's supposed to have paralyzed vocal cords on one side, but right then you
couldn't prove it to me -- that she wanted me to turn on the heat. And I
couldn't.
        Well, today I see that a heater cable is up on eBay. Part of a set
that includes the two control cables and a choke cable. The latter leads me
to think it might be an Alpine set. The seller (a List member) tells me that
the longest of the heater control cables is 26.75" long. Now, these cables
have been discussed on the List before, and it was mentioned that the
various Marks and Series of Tigers and Alpines have differing length cables
due to control valve placement. But does anyone know the exact length needed
for my Mk1? Or, is there a Lister whose car is disassembled (Larry P, Wayne,
Chris?) who could measure one? I hurt my back, today is my 1st full day back
in the office since X-mas, no way can I get under the dash and pull the old
one out for a measurement before the auction is over. TIA, everyone. BTW,
this is the one that goes into the engine bay, not the one that controls the
directional flapper under the dash.
        Other than the Ouch Factor, a good X-mas. Amongst other car-related
goodies, I was given a nice Tiger shirt (wearing it right now), one of those
miniature pewter (?) Tigers on a wooden plinth, and a hand-routed cedar
street sign for the garage that says "Tiger Ct."

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333